Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

6 Maart
Ga naar Pagina 1, 2  Volgende

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2006 7:25    Onderwerp: 6 Maart Reageer met quote

March 6

1916 New German attacks at Verdun: Battle of the Flanks

During a punishing snowstorm, the German army launches a new attack against French forces on the high ground of Mort-Homme, on the left bank of the Meuse River, near the fortress city of Verdun, France, on this day in 1916. The Battle of Verdun began February 21, 1916, with a German bombardment on the symbolic city of Verdun, the last French stronghold to fall during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. Though the Germans had advanced speedily since the start of their advance, capturing Verdun’s major protective fort, Fort Douaumont, on February 25, the French were by no means ready to give way, and the battle soon settled into a stalemate, with heavy casualties on both sides. On the night of Douaumont’s capture, General Philippe Petain took over the French command of the Verdun sector, vowing to hold the fort at all costs and inflict the maximum number of German casualties in the process. The German objective was similar: in the words of General Erich von Falkenhayn, chief of the general staff, they aimed to “bleed the French white.”

Knowing the Allies planned to launch a major offensive at the Somme River that July, the German high command was determined to keep French troops and resources devoted to the defense of Verdun throughout the spring. To do this, Falkenhayn determined that he needed to change the focus of the German attacks, shifting them from Verdun and the inner ring of forts that protected it—the core of Petain’s defensive strategy—to the flanks of the French lines surrounding the city.

To that end, on March 6, after receiving fresh artillery supplies, the Germans attacked along the west bank of the Meuse, beginning the so-called “Battle of the Flanks” with a preliminary artillery bombardment every bit as intense as the one of February 21. Although under heavy fire from French artillery positions, the Germans managed to cross the river at Brabant and Champneuville to step up their assault on Mort-Homme, which held, though 1,200 French soldiers were captured over the course of two days’ fighting. The Germans made good progress in the area in general, however, capturing nearby positions before the French began their aggressive counterattacks. The struggle for Mort-Homme itself went on for more than a month, with thousands dying on both sides of the line, but the Germans never captured the position.

Fighting at Verdun would continue for 10 months, making it the longest battle of World War I. Paul von Hindenburg—who replaced Falkenhayn that summer—finally called a halt to the German attacks on December 18, after more than a million total casualties had been suffered by German and French troops.
www.historychannel.com

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

100 Events in the Gallipoli Campaign: March 1915

6 March 1915 - The Turkish navy minelayer Nusrat set a line of twenty mines in Erenkoy Bay. This row of mines was responsible for sinking three British and French ships during the naval bombardment of the Dardanelles on 18 March.

http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/5environment/timelines/100-events-gallipoli-campaign/march-1915.html

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:09    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Gallipoli Diary, March 1915

Author: Edward P. Cox
Digital publication kindly authorised by: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa

Company training 9 to 11 am
afternoon free in camp.
8.30 pm the Division moved
out for night operations
West of Suez Road. Arrived
at rendevous at 12 midnight.
Taranaki Coy was in reserve.
Remainder of brigade & Div
troops proceeded to take up
& entrench their positions
for an attack at dawn.

This was very successfully
carried out and cease fire
sounded at 6-15 am. Then
left for camp at 7 am.
Marched in the 9 miles with-
out a halt reaching camp
at 9-30 am. Received advice
from GOC that NZ & A Div
to leave Egypt about 16th [unclear: inst]
for the front (somewhere) No more duties today &
most men had morning in bed
to make up for lost time
last night. I attended
Gezireh Races afternoon.

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-CoxDiar-t1-body-d6.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Sheffield City Battalion - Alphaeus Casey's Diary - March 1915

Saturday 6th March 1915
Excused parade because of funeral. Played bridge and read papers.

German submarine U8 sunk in Channel and crew captured. Admiralty announce that “Thordis” “in all probability” sunk German submarine.

Still battery Dardanelles.

Dinner 11.30. In town 1.20 arriving at Woodseats Lane 1.30. Surrounded by crowd of slum children until 3.30 when marched to Petre St Churchyard. Corporal and Sgt idiots. Didn’t know ceremonial properly. Vicar gave address at graveside. Pt Cherry had served 2 yrs HongKong, 2 yrs Singapore, 3 S. Africa. Died as result of wounds from operation for frostbite. Thousands of onlookers.

Evening Percy came down. Brought 2nd Book of Songs, Bandmaster, Drake. Had musical evening. Bed 12pm.

http://www.pals.org.uk/sheffield/casey_diary03.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Sea surrenders ring 89 years on

When Stanley Cubiss perished on board a naval warship the sea swallowed up hope of a future together with his sweetheart Florence.
But 89 years later, a symbol of their love has been found buried at the bottom of the sea.

The engraved engagement ring was very nearly lost forever but it has now been returned to the sailor's family in North Yorkshire in almost perfect condition.
The gold band was found by amateur diver Peter Brady, 51, who spotted the ring during a routine dive around the wreck of HMS Opal, off the coast of the Orkney Islands.
At first he thought it was a piece of the ship's machinery, but on closer inspection a loving inscription was revealed with the words "To Stanley from Flo, 6 March 1916".
Mr Cubiss, 25, worked in the engine room when he drowned as HMS Opal, along with HMS Narborough, ran aground in a snowstorm on 12 January, 1918. He was one of 188 men who perished in the disaster. He had married his sweetheart Florence in June 1917.
Keen to hand the ring over to either Stanley or Florence's descendants, Mr Brady and his diving partner Bob Hamilton began a bid to trace surviving family.
Mr Hamilton, 61, said: "We've dived the site several times but have never found any significant wreckage.
"When we realised Peter had found something of such a personal nature we knew we had to try and return it to the family."

'Touching' phone call
Having found the ship's casualty list on the internet and with information from the 1901 census, the divers, with the help of Mr Hamilton's wife Sue, placed Mr Cubiss' parents in Yorkshire.
They also discovered that following her husband's death, Florence had remarried.
From there, a trawl of the telephone directory revealed a listing for a JM Cubiss in York.
Mr Hamilton said it was with "a degree of trepidation" that he decided to call and see if he had any connection with Stanley's family.
"My first words were 'Please listen, this is not a funny phone call, but I'm part of a group of divers who dive around the Orkney Islands and we've recently been diving on the site of British destroyers'.
"As I soon as I had said those words, he interrupted and said, 'The Opal'."
The man turned out to be Mr Cubiss' nephew Malcolm, a retired brigadier.
"It was a very touching phone call and my eyes filled up. I had a lump in my throat and I had to take a minute to collect myself," Mr Hamilton said.
"I remember thinking how unbelievable it was that we had managed to trace this man's family."

'More than coincidence'
The divers, who live in Liverpool, visited Mr Cubiss at his home where he expressed the wish that the ring, and some items of his uncle's which were already in his possession, be donated to a naval museum in Orkney.
Mr Cubiss said: "Buried in the sea and then found after all these years, it's amazing. It's fitting that the ring is kept in a museum so people can remember the events of that night."
The divers are now hoping to arrange a handing over ceremony of the ring to the museum to ensure its safekeeping.
Mr Hamilton said: "The million-to-one chance of finding the ring and the ease with which we were able to trace the family has seemed at times to be a little eerie - more than just coincidence.
"We now want to make sure the ring is given its rightful place in history."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/7098429.stm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter of condolence from Lieutenant Banham

9th Royal Sussex Regt
B E F
France
March 6th 1916

Dear Mrs Whitehouse,

I am so sorry I have not been able to write to you before but I have been unwell - I am your husband's platoon commander and I want to write to you to offer my sympathy in your heavy loss - Your husband at the time of his death was placed in a bombing post situated at one of the craters which the huns blew up on the 14th inst. A shell was dropped in the midst of his party, one of whom was wounded - the rest I fear killed - This war is awful and these terrible catastrophes make us wish all the more the whole affair was over.

Your husband was attached to the Battalion bombers - so I was not so very close to him - but I feel I have lost in him one of my best men. He was always so willing and cheery and whenever there was anything doing - he was always there.

I daresay you have heard from a great friend of his Pte. Warren. They were always inseparable - The whole Batt had a bad time - we lost many men and officers - at this time we can hardly realize what has happened. It is so little we can do in these matters - I only offer my sincerest sympathy and may god give you strength to bear this heavy loss - Your husband has made the supreme sacrifice - his life - and he has died a hero - no man can do more for his country than that.

My dear Mrs Whitehouse may you be given the strength to get through this trouble - The sympathy of all C Company's officers and men.

Yours very sincerely,

JJ Banham Lt.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9384.aspx

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:44    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 March 1917, Commons Sitting

RUSSIANS IN ALLIED COUNTRIES.

HC Deb 06 March 1917 vol 91 c189 189

Mr. KING asked whether the Russian Government has requested the Allied Governments to send back to Russia all Russians liable to Russian military service?

Lord R. CECIL So far as His Majesty's Government are concerned, the answer is in the negative.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1917/mar/06/russians-in-allied-countries

Naar boven
Tandorini

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 13:50    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Kan er dat iemand van de mods hier aanplakken. Smile

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=18201
http://nl.escertico.wikia.com/wiki/Militaria_Wiki
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Will Eisner

William Erwin Eisner (Brooklyn, 6 maart 1917 – Fort Lauderdale, 3 januari 2005) was een Amerikaanse comicsschrijver.

Will Eisner was een van de pioniers van de Amerikaanse comicsscene. Zijn werk omvat onder andere de serie The Spirit, het boek A Contract with God en meer recent het boek Fagin de Jood.

In de jaren vijftig kreeg hij bekendheid als tekenaar van de serie The Spirit, een wekelijkse acht pagina's grote krantenbijlage handelend over een superheld zonder speciale supergaven.

Geïnspireerd door het werk van Robert Crumb, begon Eisner in de jaren 1970 te werken aan het boek A Contract with God ("Een contract met God"), waarin het alledaagse leven in de Bronx wordt beschreven. De sobere zwart-wit illustraties beschrijven thema's als de dood, verdriet, geloof en seksuele gevoelens. Vaak speelde dit zich af tegen een Joodse achtergrond.

"Ik beschrijf het menselijk bedrijf, en het leven" vertelde hij in een interview. "Voor mij is het leven de vijand, en het gevecht van mensen om dat te overwinnen is in feite het centrale thema dat je in heel mijn werk terugvindt."

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner
Zie ook http://willeisner.com

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:13    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 March 1918, Commons Sitting

DEATH CERTIFICATES (SUGAR CARDS).

HC Deb 06 March 1918 vol 103 cc1979-80 1979

Mr. ANDERSON asked the President of the Local Government Hoard whether it is now a practice in Kensington and else where to refuse death certificates until the sugar card of the deceased has been surrendered; whether instructions have been issued to officials to this effect; and, if so, for what reason?

Mr. FISHER No instructions have been issued to registrars of births and deaths to refuse death certificates until the sugar card of the deceased person has been surrendered. I am assured by the Registrar-General that there is no foundation for the suggestion in the hon. Member's question.

Mr. ANDERSON Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that this has actually happened, and that demands have been made for the surrender of the sugar cards before the death certificate is granted?

Mr. FISHER My information was obtained from the Registrar-General; but if the hon. Member will supply me with particulars of cases I will have inquiries made, because there is no intention that that rule should be adopted.

Mr. ANDERSON It is being adopted. I will send particulars to the right hon. Gentleman.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1918/mar/06/death-certificates-sugar-cards

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:19    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

March 6, 1918

Event: U.S. naval boat "Cyclops" disappears in Bermuda Triangle

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1918/march_6_1918_79103.html

USS Cyclops (AC-4)

USS Cyclops (AC-4) was one of four Proteus-class colliers built for the United States Navy several years before World War I. Named for the Cyclops, a primordial race of giants from Greek mythology, she was the second U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name. The loss of the ship and 306 crew and passengers without a trace sometime after 4 March 1918 remains the single largest loss of life in U.S. Naval history not directly involving combat. The ship's fate is still a mystery that remains unsolved to this day. No wreckage of the vessel has ever been found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cyclops_(AC-4)

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Casualties.

Lieutenant ALLAN COLEY, R.F.C., who was killed on active
service on March 6th, was 19 years of age, and eldest son
of the late Harry C. Coley, of Bishops Stortford, and of Mrs.
E. R. Holland, of Surbiton. He had his commission in the
Army in August, 1916, and was given his wings in April of
last year.

Lieutenant JOHN HERBERT MORRIS, R.H.A., attached
R.F.C., who was killed on March 6th, aged 19, was the younger
son of Captain and Mrs. Alfred Morris, late of Langton,
Blandford, Dorset.

TERENCE WOOD MANLEY, R.F.C., who died on March 6th
in Kent, as the result of an accident, was the only surviving
son of Herbert Manley, M.D., barrister-at-law, of West
Bromwich Staffordshire.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1918/1918%20-%200301.html

GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT OFFICERS DIED 1918

2nd Lieutenant IVAN JOHN WARREN - Died of wounds 8th March 1918 - 1st Battalion
Wounded on the 6th in a German raid at Meunier House, near Poelcapelle. Aged 26. Son of Thomas and Margaret Warren, of Hespeler, Ontario, Canada. Born in Guelph, Canada. Buried at Haringhe Military Cemetery, Poperinge.

http://glosters.tripod.com/1918off.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:38    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Founding Of The Communist International

Speech At A Joint Meeting Of The All-Russia Central Executive Committee, The Moscow Soviet, The Moscow Committee Of The Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks), The All-Russia Central Council Of Trade Unions, Moscow Trade Unions And Factory Committees To Mark The Founding Of The Communist International, March 6, 1919

(Stormy ovation.) Comrades, at the First Congress of the Communist International we did not succeed in getting representatives from all countries where this organisation has most faithful friends and where there are workers whose sympathies are entirely with us. Allow me, therefore, to begin with a short quotation which will show you that in reality we have more friends than we can see, than we know and than we were able to assemble here, in Moscow, despite all persecution, despite the entire, seemingly omnipotent, union of the bourgeoisie of the whole world. This persecution has gone to such lengths as to attempt to surround us with a sort of Great Wall of China, and to deport Bolsheviks in dozens from the freest republics of the world. They seem to be scared stiff that ten or a dozen Bolsheviks will infect the whole world. But we, of course, know that this fear is ridiculous—because they have already infected the whole world, because the Russian workers’ struggle has already convinced working people everywhere that the destiny of the world revolution is being decided here,. in Russia.

Comrades, I have here a copy of L’Humanité, a French newspaper whose policy corresponds more to that of our Mensheviks or Right Socialist-Revolutionaries. During the war, this paper was utterly ruthless in its attacks on those who supported our viewpoint. Today it is defending those who during the war went along with their own bourgeoisie. This very newspaper reports in its issue of January 13, 1919, that a mammoth meeting (as the newspaper itself admits) took place in Paris of active party and trade union members of the Seine Federation, i.e., the district nearest to Paris, the centre of the proletarian movement, the centre of all political life in France.

Lees verder op http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1919/mar/06.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:43    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Berlin March 1919 - the second Spartacist uprising

March 6, 1919 - People's Marine House
March 6 saw the climax to the fighting. Colonel Reinhard arrived near the Alexanderplatz with his Freikorps and even a tank. The infantry split into small groups and began to slash a path through the revolutionaries, rapidly taking over their key strong-points.

However, the defenders in a neighbouring building named the 'People's Marine House' offered stiffer resistance. To help crush these revolutionaries an air strike was called in – yet the sailors continued fight on. Reinhard ordered an outright assault, but it took three attacking waves before victory was secured.

Mét foto's... http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/revolution(3).html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2010 14:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 March 1919, Commons Sitting

BOLSHEVIST CRIMES.

HC Deb 06 March 1919 vol 113 c584 584

Sir SAMUEL SCOTT asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs if he has information regarding the number of men, women, and children murdered by the Bolshevist Government in Russia since Lenin and Trotsky assumed power; and whether he has further information that Chinese are utilised by this Government as executioners and torturers?

Mr. HARMSWORTH Accurate statistics in regard to the number of men, women and children murdered by the Bolshevik Government in Russia are at present unobtainable. It is known, however, that the number of victims has been very great. We are credibly informed that the Bolshevik Government are employing some of their considerable force of Chinese troops to act as executioners. Bodies of Bolshevik victims which have been recovered show that they died under torture, but it is uncertain whether this was the work of Chinese or of the Bolsheviks themselves.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1919/mar/06/bolshevist-crimes

Naar boven
Price of Glory

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2010 16:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Tandorini schreef:

Quote:
De eerste slag bij de Reigersvliet (ook wel slag aan de Reigersvliet) is een hevig gevecht dat zich tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog voltrok op 6 maart 1918.

Klik hier

http://www.ahwk.fr
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:04    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Wet bepaling betreffende het gebruik van grond voor mijnontginning

Wet van 6 maart 1915, houdende bepaling betreffende het gebruik van grond voor mijnontginning

Wij WILHELMINA, bij de gratie Gods, Koningin der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau, enz., enz., enz.

Allen, die deze zullen zien of hooren lezen, saluut! doen te weten:

Alzoo Wij in overweging genomen hebben, dat het wenschelijk is een voorziening te treffen met het oog op de mogelijkheid, dat voor eenzelfde veld meer dan eene mijnconcessie wordt verleend;

Zoo is het, dat Wij, den Raad van State gehoord, en met gemeen overleg der Staten-Generaal, hebben goedgevonden en verstaan, gelijk Wij goedvinden en verstaan bij deze:

Eenig artikel
1.Bij eene acte van concessie als bedoeld in artikel 5 der wet van 21 April 1810, concernant les mines, les minières et les carrières, ( Bulletin des Lois n°. 285) kan worden bepaald, dat in het belang van een andere voor hetzelfde veld reeds verleende of nog te verleenen mijnconcessie terreinen kunnen worden aangewezen, die door den concessionaris niet voor zijne ontginning zullen mogen worden gebruikt.

2.Deze aanwijzing geschiedt met Onze machtiging door Onzen Minister, die met de uitvoering van het besluit tot verleening der concessie is belast. Lasten en bevelen, dat deze in het Staatsblad zal worden geplaatst en dat alle Ministerieele Departementen, Autoriteiten, Colleges en Ambtenaren, wie zulks aangaat, aan de nauwkeurige uitvoering de hand zullen houden.

Gegeven te 's-Gravenhage, den 6den Maart 1915.

WILHELMINA.

De Minister van Landbouw, Nijverheid en Handel, POSTHUMA.

Uitgegeven den zestienden Maart 1915.
De Minister van Justitie, B. ORT.

http://mijnwetten.nl/wet-bepaling-betreffende-het-gebruik-van-grond-voor-mijnontginning

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:07    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Great War - 03-06-1915

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4kleuren/5486458904/meta/

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

DE KRIJGSMACHT IN SURINAME

L a n d m a c h t .
Het troependetachement, bij Kon. Besluit van 6 Maart 1915
no. 15 vastgesteld op 1 kapitein, 4 luitenants, 1 luitenant- of
adjudant-onderofficier- kwartiermeester en 234 minderen, bleef
ook in de volgende jaren de samenstelling behouden van een
compagnie infanterie, waarvan de sterkte jaarlijks aan kleine
wijzigingen onderhevig was. De aanvulling geschiedde ten deele
door de Koloniale Reserve, ten deele door aanneming van vrijwilligers
uit de verschillende bevolkingsgroepen van Suriname.
Het bevel over de compagnie kan, in afwijking van de organisatie,
bij een hoofdofficier berusten. (...)

http://www.kitlv-journals.nl/index.php/nwig/article/viewFile/4619/5386

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:13    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Voters create Port of Kennewick on March 6, 1915 to provide docks for Columbia River steamboats

On March 6, 1915, voters create Port of Kennewick to provide docks for Columbia River steamboats. The vote passes by a majority of 185 votes and creates a five-square-mile taxing district, which includes the town of Kennewick and "all property lying a mile in each direction" ("Kennewick Port Created"). The original purpose is to improve steamboat docks at the town's harbor and to build and maintain public warehouses. Eventually the Port of Kennewick will grow into a large and diversified entity that will encompass a marina, an airport, shipbuilding facilities, food-processing plants, chemical plants, and many industrial and commercial development sites. It will become a driving force in the regional economy.

At the Beginning, Record Shipments

Creation of the Port was spearheaded by the Kennewick Commercial Club, which was hoping to take advantage of the opening of the Celilo Canal downstream near The Dalles. Local business people hoped this would increase cargo traffic and cement Kennewick's position at the head of navigation on the Columbia.

Less than three months later, they were proven correct. By summer of 1915, record shipments of both cargo and passengers were leaving and arriving at Kennewick's docks. One of the Port's first acts was to authorize the building of a new warehouse to handle the record volumes. By 1916, the Port constructed a new wharf, at what is now the Ivy Street Terminal site, to handle cargo and passengers.

But the steamboat era on the Columbia was already winding down -- finished off by railroads and barges -- and would end by about 1918. For the next few years, the Port concentrated on building rail-and-water transfer facilities and warehouses. A massive flood in 1926 wiped out many of these facilities, causing the Port to go into a prolonged period of inactivity that lasted through the Great Depression. The Port had no full-time employees.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?displaypage=output.cfm&file_id=9414

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

‘Kriegsnagelungen’

Oorsprong en verspreiding van het oorlogsspijkeren

De eerste oorlogsbespijkering vond plaats op 6 maart 1915 in Wenen. Hier had al een eeuwenoud gebruik bestaan van het slaan van spijkers in een sparrenstam tijdens openbare rechtszittingen. Deze sparrenstam staat nog steeds op de Stock-im-Eisen-Platz vlakbij de Stephansdom1) . Nog in de 18e eeuw sloegen reizende smeden op hun verblijf in Wenen uit bijgeloof een spijker in deze stam.

Ruim een half jaar na het begin van de oorlog liet het Weense stadsbestuur op de Schwarzenbergplatz een groot houten beeld oprichten van een geharnaste middeleeuwse ridder met zwaard. Tevens werden 500.000 spijkers beschikbaar gesteld, die het publiek tegen betaling in het beeld mocht slaan.

De opbrengst werd in een ‘Militär-Witwen-und-Waisenfonds’ gestort. Aartshertog Leopold Salvator, lid van de keizerlijke familie en inspecteur-generaal der artillerie, sloeg de eerste spijker, gevolgd door de ambassadeurs van Duitsland en Turkije. Daarna was het publiek aan de beurt. De eerste dagen liep het storm, daarna zakte de belangstelling weg.

http://www.wereldoorlog1418.nl/spijkeren/index.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

RUSSIANS SLAUGHTER TURKISH THIRD ARMY

Give No Quarter to Men Held Responsible for the Massacre of Armenians

MONDAY, MARCH 6, 1916 LONDON, March 6.--The Russian soldiers at Bitlis, according to a Petrograd dispatch to
the Morning Post, took a terrible revenge on the Turkish troops for the cruelty which the
Turks were alleged to have practiced to ward the Armenians in that district. The
correspondent says:

"Terrible slaughter followed the capture of the Turkish positions at Bitlis. The Russian
troops had witnessed at Van, Mush, and many other places, an appalling sight, the
massacre: namely, by Turkish fanatics of tens of thousands of Armenian Christian men,
women, and children. It was unlikely after such deeds that any quarter should be given.
This colossal killing completed the destruction of the Turkish third army.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14021541/191636-Russians-slaughter-Turkish-Third-Army

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Watersnoodmedaille

Het Onderscheidingsteken ter erkenning van uitstekende daden bij watersnood verricht, meestal "Watersnoodmedaille" genoemd, werd op 27 maart 1855 door Koning Willem III der Nederlanden in een Koninklijk Besluit ingesteld. De medaille dient, zo stelt het besluit, als beloning van ijver, moed, beleid en zelfopoffering, betoond bij gelegenheid van watersnood".

De medaille werd bij iedere watersnood opnieuw aangemaakt en van een toepasselijke tekst op de keerzijde voorzien. Zo zijn er de volgende medailles:

•verleend tijdens de watersnood van 1855 (Ingesteld bij Koninklijk Besluit no. 11 van 27 maart 1855)
•verleend tijdens de watersnood van 1861 (Ingesteld bij Koninklijk Besluit no. 66 van 24 maart 1861)
•verleend tijdens de watersnood van 1876 (Ingesteld bij Koninklijk Besluit no. 18 van 5 april 1876)
•verleend tijdens de watersnood van 1916 (Ingesteld bij Koninklijk Besluit no. 83 van 6 maart 1916)
•verleend tijdens de watersnood van 1926 (Ingesteld bij Koninklijk Besluit no. 3 van 20 januari 1926)

Daarna bleef Nederland lange tijd voor watersnood bewaard. Na de watersnoodramp in Zeeland, Brabant en Zuid-Holland in februari 1953 werd geen medaille vervaardigd. Dit ereteken bestaat desondanks nog steeds en het wordt in de officiële Draagvolgorde van de Nederlandse onderscheidingen als twintigste vermeld.

Lees verder op http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watersnoodmedaille
Zie ook http://www.onderscheidingen.nl/nl/medailles/dapperheid/watersnood.html

De overstroming van 1916

Bij Koninklijk Besluit van 6 maart 1916, no. 83, werd ter gelegenheid van de watersnood een ereteken ingesteld. Burgemeester de Raadt droeg op 6 mei 1916 een aantal mensen voor die in aanmerking kwamen voor deze onderscheiding: J. Schipper, R. van de Bosch, F. van der Heijden, P. Jaarsveld en J. van Berkel. Zij waren in de stormnacht naar de oostzeedijk gelopen om te trachten dijkbaas H. Luijer te helpen. Het zeewater sloeg echter met zulk een kracht over de dijk dat slechts één persoon, J. Schipper, het dijkhuis wist te bereiken. Samen met de dijkbaas hield hij de wacht. De andere personen, “hoewel meermalen door de kracht van het water op den grond geworpen” wekten de veehouders in de Noordpolder en waren behulpzaam bij het in veiligheid brengen van personen en vee. In Muiden waren het K. Pauw, J. van Etten en J. Buitenweg, die door hun onvermoeid en krachtig optreden, hetgeen vaak met grote zelfopoffering gepaard ging, erger wisten te voorkomen door o. m. het opwerpen van noodkeringen om zoveel mogelijk het zeewater te keren en toen dat niet langer mogelijk bleek, de gezinnen uit ondergelopen woningen te helpen bij evacuatie. Zij kregen uiteindelijk geen medaille, maar werden wel eervol vermeld in de Staatscourant en ontvingen hiervan ook een persoonlijke mededeling.

http://www.ham-muiden.nl/sluiz_2008/180.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:32    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Maart 1916. De Slag om het Narochmeer.

(...) Op 6 maart 1916 beginnen de Russen bij Vilnius (Litouwen) en het Narochmeer de Slag om Postovsky, ook bekend als de Slag om het Narochmeer (6 maart 1916 – 21 maart 1916). Oorspronkelijk is het de bedoeling van het offensief om de druk op de benarde Fransen bij de Slag om Verdun enigszins te verlichten. De Russen lanceren eerst een twee dagen langdurend, inleidend artilleriebombardement, dat al gauw door de Duitsers beantwoord wordt met hun artillerie en met hun gasgranaten.

http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/?id=503541&r=1&tbl_archief=1&

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:35    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Gallieni, Joseph-Simon (1849-1916)

Frans generaal. Nam deel aan de Frans-Duitse oorlog van 1870-71. Van 1896 tot 1905 was hij gouverneur van Madagaskar. Hij voerde het bevel over het Dertiende en later over het Veertiende legerkorps en werd gouverneur van Lyon en later in 1914 gouverneur van Parijs. Het Franse succes bij de slag aan de Marne was vooral te danken aan de besluitvaardigheid waarmee hij een deel van het Parijse garnizoen naar het front zond. Van 30 oktober 1915 tot 6 maart 1916 was hij minister van oorlog onder Briand.

http://www.oocities.org/website_wo_1/bestand.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:37    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 maart 1916 - Overlijdensadvertentie van de pastooor te Varik

http://www.olzheim.nl/krantenarchief/krantenarchief/index.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 19:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

De Duitse marine

Nadat men zich na de Slag bij de Doggersbank in hoofdzaak tot defensieve taken had bepaald, ontplooide de Duitse marine na het aantreden van admiraal Scheer een haast koortsachtige activiteit. Scheer, die begin 1916 Hugo von Pohl was opgevolgd als bevelhebber van de Duitse Hochseeflotte, voerde een strategie, die in tegenstelling tot de behoudende koers van zijn voorganger erop was gericht, de vloot actief tegen de Britten in te zetten om ze in de verleiding te brengen hun strijdmacht in kleinere eenheden te verspreiden, ze onder voor de Duitsers gunstige omstandigheden te kunnen aanvallen en te vernietigen. Zo deed de vrijwel complete Hochseeflotte in de nacht van 5 op 6 maart 1916 een uitval in de richting van "De Hoofden" (zuidwestelijk deel van de Noordzee), maar de Britten, die van de vijandelijke sterkte op de hoogte waren, hetzij door spionage, wat de Duitsers vermoedden, of, wat ook is beweerd, doordat ze beschikten over door de Russen buitgemaakte codeboeken van een Duitse kruiser, die in 1914 in de Finse Golf was vergaan en op deze wijze de versleutelde Duitse radioberichten grotendeels konden ontcijferen, hadden zich niet laten verleiden op deze uitdaging in te gaan. (...)

http://nl.milpedia.org/wiki/Slag_bij_Jutland

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

BEUKELSDYK

HISTORIE - 27.01.1916-1916 BEUKELSDYK
Holland Amerika Lijn, Rotterdam-Nederland.
Het schip werd speciaal ingezet voor graantransporten en maakte 26 april 1916 de eerste reis. Op 6 maart 1917 in de Baai van Halifax tijdens een zware storm van de ankers geslagen en gestrand, later vlot gebracht. [Op] 21 maart 1918 in Puerto Rico door de Amerikaanse regering in beslag genomen, en in beheer gegeven bij U.S. Navy, Naval Overseas Transport Service als schip 3135. [Op] 18 mei 1918 in Rotterdam aan de HAL teruggegeven. [Op] 29 januari 1923 tijdens een reis van Rotterdam naar Narvik in ballast bij Stott op de rotsen gelopen en verloren gegaan.

http://www.kustvaartforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1078&start=75

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:33    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

School in Grolloo afgebrand 1917 (Hoofdstraat)

In de openbare lagere school te Grolloo ontstond op 6 maart 1917 een schoorsteenbrand. Aangewakkerd door een felle oostenwind kreeg deze in korte tijd zo'n omvang dat aan blussen niet meer te denken viel. Het gebouw brandde volkomen uit. Gelukkig kon men de belendende percelen, alle met riet gedekt, behouden. De nieuwe bepaling van hogerhand, dat de kachels voortaan in een hoek van het schoollokaal moesten worden geplaatst en de pijpen niet meer in de lengte door het lokaal mochten lopen werd, mede gezien de strenge winter, door de krant als hoofdschuldige aangemerkt. Tot de ingebruikname van de nieuwe school op 15 april 1918 bezochten de leerlingen van het 7e en 8e Ieerjaar de school te Rolde, terwijl de andere ca. 90 leerlingen onderwijs kregen in twee kamers van de pastorie van de Hervormde Gemeente.

http://www.oldgrol.nl/consist/verhalen/branden.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:37    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

De Maatschappij Stoomschip "Industrie" is op 6 maart 1917 opgericht.

Het maatschappelijk kapitaal bedroeg f 50.000,- en was verdeeld in 50 aandelen van f 1.000,00.

http://members.home.nl/roo.effecten/scheepvaart.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Aerial photograph of Havrincourt [6 March 1917]

This image was scanned from a photograph in the Dalton Family Papers, held by Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia. It is from a collection of photos and letters by William Dalton, who served in the A.I.F. during World War I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/5361878570/

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Armenië
Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant, 6 maart 1918
Bron: Koninklijke Bibliotheek

PARIJS, 6 Maart. (Havas.) In de Matin slaakt Bogosnoebar pasja, de vertegenwoordiger van Armenië bij de geallieerden, een wanhoopskreet over de verschrikkelijke gevolgen van het verdrag van Brest-Litofsk. De Turksche horden zullen nu kunnen binnentrekken in Russisch Armenië, dat de toevlucht was voor de ongelukkige gemartelde bevolking; hij vreest, dat deze nu uitgeroeid zal worden.

http://www.agindepers.nl/kwestie/NRC-6-3-1918.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:43    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Een kreet om hulp
Het Volk, 6 maart 1918
Bron: Koninklijke Bibliotheek

STOCKHOLM, 5 Maart (H.N.) (Draadloos.) Het bureau van de Internationale Stockholmsche Socialistische Konferentie heeft van de socialistische groep van Genève een telegram ontvangen, waarin dringend de tusschenkomst van het bureau wordt verzocht met het oog op nieuwe gruweldaden tegen de Armeniërs, die onmiddelijk gevolgd zijn nadat de Russische troepen Armenië hebben ontruimd.

http://www.agindepers.nl/kwestie/VK-6-3-1918.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Finnish Air Force

The Finnish Air Force (FAF) is one of the branches of the Finnish Defence Forces. Its peacetime tasks are airspace surveillance, identification flights, and production of readiness formations for wartime conditions. As a separate branch of the military, the Finnish Air Force is one of the oldest in the world, having existed officially since 6 March 1918.

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Finnish_Air_Force

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 20:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

1ste Jagers te Paard (1JP)

Het regiment wordt vlak na de Belgische revolutie in september 1830
opgericht. Op 23 oktober 1830 krijgt de eenheid officieel de naam
"Premier Regiment de Chasseurs à Cheval" onder bevel van Kolonel
Moyard. Op 3 januari 1832 krijgt het regiment op de markt van
Mechelen, zijn standaard uit handen van Zijne Majesteit Koning Leopold
I. In de Eerste Wereldoorlog onderscheidt het regiment zich tijdens de
loopgravenoorlog aan de IJzer. Dit leidt voor het Eerste Jagers te Paard,
samen met andere Belgische eenheden, op 6 maart 1918 tot de
succesrijke slag van Reigersvliet, een beekje aan het IJzerfront.

http://blogimages.bloggen.be/imms_belgium/attach/18623.pdf

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 21:07    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Eervol aandenken aan de militairen van Dudzele. Gestorven als gevolg van oorlog: Edmond Van Raefelghem

Gevallen: Antwerpen
Datum: 6 maart 1919
Ouderdom: 27 jaar
Huidige begraafplaats: onbekend

http://wo1dudzele.brugseverenigingen.be/GesneuveldenDudzele

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 22:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Eleftherios Venizelos

March 6, 1915: Prime minister Eleftherios Venizelos resigns following a row with king Constantine I and royalist officers in the General Staff over whether Greece should take part in the first world war on the side of the Entente (Britain, France and Russia) against the Central Powers (Germany and the Austro­Hungarian empire, joined by Ottoman Turkey). What prompted Venizelos to risk hard-won Greek gains at the Balkan Wars (1912-13) by entering a much wider conflagration was the bombing of Turkey's Dardanelles Straits by the British fleet during the ill-fated Gallipoli expedition in February 1915. London had offered Athens a chunk of the Greek-dominated western coast of Asia Minor in exchange for taking part in the Dardanelles campaign, and the prospect of an Ottoman collapse looked imminent. But despite winning over the majority of the Supreme Crown Council, Venizelos' proposal to accept the offer was flatly rejected by the pro-German monarch, who insisted on the country's neutrality in the Great War. The ensuing politica/crisis and Venizelos' resignation mark the beginning of a long period of confrontation between republicans and monarchists, known as Ethnikos Dichasmos (National Division), that was to haunt Greek society for generations to come. The beleaguered statesman returned to power following the victory of his Liberal party on May 31 but was again forced to resign over the same issue on September 23 of the same year. Venizelos finally declared war on the Central Powers after his third political comeback in June 1917

http://www.helleniccomserve.com/pastpresent6march1915.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Mrt 2011 22:44    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Front Cover of 'Le Rire Rouge', 6 March 1915

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Front-Cover-of-Le-Rire-Rouge-6-March-1915-Posters_i6242888_.htm?aid=646608408&DestType=7

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2011 19:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Harold Williams, Daily Chronicle (6th March, 1917)

It is a wonderful thing to see the birth of freedom. With freedom comes brotherhood, and in Petrograd today there is a flow of brotherly feeling. Everywhere you see it in the streets. The trams are not yet running, and people are tired of endless walking. But the habit now is to share your cab with perfect strangers.

The police have gone, but the discipline is marvelous. Everyone shares the task of maintaining discipline and order. A volunteer militia has been formed and 7,000 men enrolled as special constables, mostly students, professors, and men of the professional classes generally. These, with the help of occasional small patrols of soldiers, control the traffic, guard the banks, factories, and Government buildings, and ensure security.

Soldiers, with all their freedom, are displaying a sense of order and discipline that would be hardly conceivable in any other nation. Throughout the revolution, when the city was actually under the control of thousands of soldiers, they behaved with few exceptions like thorough gentleman. We heard of no cases of cold-blooded murder. Only those officers or police were killed who opened fire on the soldiers. Private property nearly everywhere was scrupulously respected, and in most cases robbery was due to criminals disguised as soldiers.

Good news comes this evening that the moderate group in the Soviet is gaining the upper hand, and the prospects are brighter than ever. Prince Kropotkin (now living in Brighton) and Plekhanov, veteran Socialist exiles, who the champion war as a war of defence and liberation, have been urgently invited to return to help in the work of reconstruction.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RUSmarchR.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 10:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 March 1918 | Centenary of WW1 in Orange

Minister for Defence, Senator George Pearce, announces that AIF headquarters in London has approved the wearing of the letter “A” by those who served at Gallipoli.

http://www.centenaryww1orange.com.au/events/6-march-1918/

Hier het krantenartikel:

THE ANZAC SYMBOL.

The Minister for Defence (Senator
Pearce) states that recommendations
had been received by cable message
from the A.I.F. headquarters, London,
to give the right to wear the letter
"A" to all those Australian soldiers
who had served in Gallipoli peninsula
or the islands of Lemnos, Imbres,
and Tenedos, on all transports or
hospital ships at or off Gallipoli.
There had been a further suggestion
to extend the privilege to men who
had served on A.I.F. lines of commu
nication during the Gallipoli cam
paign. That had been approved, but
the question had not yet been deter
mined as to what was meant by the
term "lines of communication" units
in Egypt.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100959759/10546571

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 10:19    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

V. I. Lenin: Extraordinary Seventh Congress of the R.C.P.(B.) - March 6-8, 1918

Voor de Table of Contents en de teksten, zie hier: https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1918/7thcong/index.htm

Zie voor uitleg over de Seventh Congress hier: Communist Party of Russia: Extraordinary Seventh Congress

The Extraordinary Seventh Congress of the R.C.P.(B.), the Communist Party’s first Congress after the victory of the Great October Socialist Revolution, was held March 6-8, 1918 in the Taurida Palace in Petrograd to decide the question of concluding peace with Germany, over which a fierce internal controversy had sprung up within the Party.

Lenin and the members of the Central Committee who supported him were striving to bring Soviet Russia out of the imperialist war. The principles on which Lenin’s position was based were most fully expressed in his Theses on the Question of the Immediate Conclusion of a Separate and Annexationist Peace. The conclusion of the Brest peace was opposed by a group of “Left Communists” led by N. I. Bukharin. L. D. Trotsky took up a position opposed to the Left-Communists and in favour of peace, but disagreed with Lenin on how to implement such a position and not sow confusion into the ranks of the German communists. The “Left Communists”, who held leading posts in the Moscow, Petrograd, Urals and some other Party organisations, launched a violent campaign against Lenin’s policy. The Moscow Regional Bureau passed a resolution expressing distrust of the Party Central Committee and made what Lenin described as the “strange and monstrous”; that it would be expedient in the interests of international revolution to “accept the possibility of losing Soviet power”. The adventuristic slogans of the “Left Communists” were rejected by the majority of lower Party organisations. By the time the Congress took place Lenin’s policy of concluding peace enjoyed the support of the majority of Party organisations.

Lees verder op https://www.marxists.org/glossary/events/c/o.htm#congress-communist-party-russia

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 10:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Mail Tribune 100, March 6, 1918

COLDEST NIGHT OF YEAR EXPERIENCED - Last night and this morning were the coldest of the winter in the city and valley, the lowest temperature being 19 degrees, which was reached at 8 a.m. today. The prediction for tonight and tomorrow is fair and warmer. the coldest previous temperature the year was on January 31, when the mercury fell to 22 degrees. Monday night the coldest temperature was 23 degrees.
The cold weather of last night and the several previous days has done no harm whatever—in fact, has been a blessing to the valley, for it is holding back the fruit buds and delaying the dangerous frost season period. The pear and peach tree buds are almost ready to break out with a few days of warm weather.

TRAIN SERVICE BADLY DEMORALIZED - Passenger train service on the Southern Pacific was badly demoralized today in both directions. the unusual spectacle was seen this forenoon at 10:30 when the Shasta limited passenger train due here from the south at 9:20 came into the depot without any steam in her engine, having been pushed all the way from Ashland by passenger train No. 14, which was due here at 8:02 a.m.
The limited engine went dead near Ashland and she lay stalled until No. 14 came along and did the push act. Steam was finally gotten up in the engine here and the limited pulled out with her own engine at 11 a.m. The other train departed for the north about 20 minutes later.
But thing were going worse in south-bound traffic for passenger train No. 13, due here at 10:35 a.m., did not reach Medford until about 5 p.m. because of several freight cars having been derailed at Comstock, near Cottage Grove. There were many prospective passengers for San Francisco and intermediate points who were greatly disappointed and most of them called off their journeys until Thursday.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/20180305/mail-tribune-100-march-6-1918

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 10:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Landing of German troops

Eckerö, 6 March 1918.

Commanders of the Royal Swedish and Imperial German Naval Detachments have today agreed on the following concerning the landing of German Landing Units and borders of occupation areas on the Aaland Islands:

1) The landing of German troops will take place beginning in the morning of March 7, 1918.
2) Areas in the free use of solely German troops are:
a) The municipality of Eckerö,
b) " Hammarland,
c) " Sund,
d) " Saltvik.
3) Areas in the free use of solely Swedish troops are:
a) The municipality of Finström including Geta,
b) The municipality of Jomala including Mariehamn (municipal boundaries as in "Karta över Åland III. Upplagen Mariehamn 1917").
4) In the east islands belonging to Aaland Islands up to Skiftet sea area are free to use for German military maneuvers.
5) German troops are further agreed to use:
a) Emkarby and Godby in the municipality of Finström for the sole use by them,
b) Ytterby and Omningby as well as Port of Norrvik (on the coast of Lumparfjord) for temporary use on March 7 and 8, 1918,
c) German troops will occupy the cable station in Djupvik (cable to Nystad, Finland).
6) Swedish troops will have a storage space in Eckerö, and they leave a military unit in Harrasby up till March 8, 1918.
7) The port of Eckerö will always be open to Swedish ships.
8) German ships are permitted to disembark in the port of Mariehamn whenever weather conditions would not allow them to use the port of Eckerö, provided the port authority is given a notification
9) Free passage is mutually recognized in all routes through the occupation areas of Swedish and German troops
10) The Swedes will take the possession the Russian military network, and the Germans the postal one as parts of the telephone and telegraph network on the Aaland Islands. Other details will be agreed in mutual understanding.
The commanders of the naval detachments have agreed the texts above in a mutual hope that they can carry their duties in comradely and friendly understanding.

Commander of Swedish Royal Navy detachment,
Count Ehrensvärd, Vice Admiral.
Commander of the Ostseedivision Navy,
Meurer, Rear Admiral.

https://histdoc.net/history/tyskar.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 12:39    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Richard Nynian Irwin - 6 March 1917 - Oundle School

Richard Nynian Irwin came from Gloucestershire and arrived at Sidney House in 1911. He played for the U16 school rugby team but left Oundle in 1914. At the age of 16 he took a commission in the Gloucestershire Regiment. After training in England, he was sent to France in September 1915 and was then transferred to Salonica two months later. By early 1917, his battalion was facing Austrian troops on the Greece/Macedonia border. At 2.30 on the morning of 6th March, Lieutenant Irwin was in a raiding party which cut through the enemy wire, only to find an enemy force of about 300 men advancing from Krstali. As there was a danger of being surrounded, Captain Ashmead gave the order to withdraw.

With supporting fire from our artillery most of the party made it back to the British lines but Richard Irwin and four of his men were killed. One of his superior officers wrote: “He was so capable and manly, so industrious and intelligent, and always thinking of his men first of all, that all of them, I know, loved him – as I did myself.”

Another officer wrote to Richard’s older brother John, also a Sidney boy, who was wounded in the war but survived. “From what I have heard, your brother behaved in a most gallant manner after he had been wounded the first time. It was only through him insisting on being the last to go through the wire on the way back that he was killed.”

Richard Irwin was just 19 years old at the time of his death.

http://www.oundleschool.org.uk/Richard-Nynian-Irwin-6-March-1917?returnUrl=/World-War-I-

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 12:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6 March 1917 - WW1 Blog - Jersey Heritage: Members of Town Tribunal announced

Under the terms of Jersey’s new Military Service Act, three tribunals are being set-up in the Island. The function of the West, East and Town Tribunals is to judge appeals from men claiming exemption from military service, with the principal grounds, aside from medical reasons, being that their civilian role is vital to the war effort.

Just who will sit on these tribunals has been a topic of considerable speculation during the last few weeks. The final decision rests with the parish constables, whose challenge is to find citizens of good standing able to impartially assess each case coming before them.

This week, the Constable of St Helier, Mr John Pinel, announced his selection, which consists of mostly prominent townsmen. These are potato merchant Mr Francis Amy, Mr J.A. Blampied, formerly of the Beresford Library, ex-deputy for St Helier, Mr C.H. Heath, Mr C. Messervy, who is an architect, crown solicitor Mr P.A. Roissier and timber merchants Mr W. Le Feuvre and Mr J.W. Huelin.

With several thousand men believed to have lodged an appeal for exemption, the Town and other tribunals are expecting to be busy during the coming months.

https://www.jerseyheritage.org/ww1-blog/6-march-1917

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 12:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Amiga Serial Longplay: Wings, Mission #091 (6 March 1917)

For the gamers among us. Needs to be seen to be believed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=767ne0cC2jM

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 14:17    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

6th March 1917 – Solihull Life

19-year-old Private Sydney Clifford Lamplugh was killed on 6th March 1917 whilst serving as an Air Mechanic 1st Class with the Royal Flying Corps. Born in 1898, he was the second of the three children of old Silhillian Sydney Augustus Lamplugh (1870-1955) and his wife Ellen Cecile (née Gilmer) who had married in 1895. Their eldest son, Alfred Gilmer Lamplugh CBE (1895-1960) also served as a Lieutenant and Captain with the Royal Flying Corps, having learned to fly in 1913.

The family lived in Birmingham, where Sydney Augustus Lamplugh was a businessman connected with saddlery and leather goods manufacturers Middlemore & Lamplugh, before going on to establish S. A. Lamplugh Ltd, making radios in the 1920s/30s. The local connection with the family is that Sydney Clifford Lamplugh was a member of Robin Hood Golf Club in Shirley. A report of his death appeared in the Birmingham Daily Mail, 13th March 1917:

Mr and Mrs Sydney A. Lamplugh, 73 Cotton Lane, Moseley, have received news of the death of their youngest son, Private Sydney Clifford Lamplugh (19). He was educated at King Edward’s School, New Street, and the Municipal Technical School, matriculating at the London University, 1914. Apprenticed to Belliss and Morcom Ltd, he enlisted in a City Battalion in October 1914, was transferred to the Royal Flying Corps the following month, and went to the front in January 1915. Since December 1916, he has held the position of observer, and was killed in an aerial battle. He was a member of the Old Meeting Church and of Robin Hood Golf Club.

Private Lamplugh is buried at Crucifix Corner Cemetery, Villers-Bretonneux, France, and is also commemorated locally at Robin Hood Golf Club.

https://solihulllife.wordpress.com/2017/03/06/6th-mar-1917/

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 14:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

HANSARD → 6 March 1917 → Commons Sitting → MILITARY SERVICE.

SOLDIERS UNDER AGE

Mr. GINNELL asked the Home Secretary what causes the delay in releasing the young men whom it was irregularly sought to force into the Army: and when the promise to release them will be redeemed?

Mr. MACPHERSON My right hon. Friend has requested me to answer this. I am afraid I cannot answer this question in the absence of particulars as to the cases to which the hon. Member is referring. If the hon. Member will give me the necessary particulars, I will have inquiry made.

Mr. GINNELL Has not the hon. Gentleman had the particulars for several months?

Mr. MACPHERSON No; I am afraid I have not. I understand some of the releases have been effected.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1917/mar/06/soldiers-under-age

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 14:25    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

100 years ago today - 6 March 1917 - The Aerodrome Forum

General Headquarters, March 7th.

“On the 6th there was considerable aerial activity, and a great deal of successful reconnaissance, photography and artillery work was done by our machines, and valuable information was obtained. Many bombs were dropped on the enemy's billets and dumps.

“The enemy made a determined but unsuccessful effort to stop our work, sending up a very large number of machines. Much aerial fighting took place all along the Front throughout the day, during which three hostile machines were brought down and at least three others driven down damaged. Four of our machines were brought down, and seven others are missing."

Artillery Co-operation - Sixty-five targets were dealt with by aeroplane observation.

Hostile Aircraft — Hostile aircraft were exceptionally active during the day and a great number of combats took place. About 70 hostile aeroplanes were observed opposite the First Army front; 23 of these crossed the lines.

Capt E F P Lubbock & Sub-Lt J Thompson, 45 Sqn, 1½ Strutter, Schuckert D crashed

2nd Lt F H Baguley & ?, 16 Sqn, RE8, Halberstadt out of control

Capt C E Bryant & 2nd Lt H S Elliott, 23 Sqn, FE2b, Halberstadt D out of control

2nd Lt E C Pashley and Capt S H Long, 24 Sqn, two-seater destroyed - drove down a German aeroplane in which the Observer was hit; confirmation has been received that this machine was destroyed; Schreiber & Schaffer, FAA221, Ftl

Capt R Gregory, 40 Sqn, FE8 6384, Scout out of control 10:50 Givenchy en Gohelle Ltn Hans-Georg Eduard Lübbert, Jasta 11, Wia [?]

Lt E L Benbow, 40 Sqn, FE8 A4871, Albatros Scout in flames 10:50 Givenchy en Gohelle - drove down a hostile machine which fell in flames near Givenchy; Ltn Hans-Georg Eduard Lübbert, Jasta 11, Wia [?]

Capt H H Balfour & 2nd Lt A Roberts, 43 Sqn, 1½ Strutter A1097, Halberstadt D crashed 11:00 Givenchy – Lens - drove down a hostile machine out of control near Givenchy; confirmation has been received that this machine crashed; Ltn Hans-Georg Eduard Lübbert, Jasta 11, Wia [?]

2nd Lt C P Thornton & Lt H D Blackburn, 43 Sqn, 1½ Strutter, Halberstadt D in flames 11:00 south of Lens - brought down a Halberstadt Scout in flames south of Lens; Ltn Hans-Georg Eduard Lübbert, Jasta 11, Wia [?]

Lt G P Kay & Lt Thomas, 46 Sqn, Nieuport 20 A156, EA in flames 11:25 J18a

Lt M J J G Mare-Montembault, 32 Sqn, DH2 7882, Albatros Scout destroyed 15:00 east of Bapaume - the 34th Heavy Artillery Group report that a hostile machine was brought down east of Bapaume. This is believed to have been engaged by two De Havilland 2s of 32 Squadron, both of which failed to return.

Casualties –

2nd Lt P S Joyce (Kia), 60 Sqn, Nieuport 16 A208 - last seen over Bapaume at 8,000 feet during photography; Oblt Hans Kummetz, Ja1, 2nd victory

Maj E P Graves (Kia), 60 Sqn, Nieuport 17 A213 - brought down in flames by HA at Riviere on offensive patrol; OffStllv Walter Cymera, Ja1, 2nd victory ?

2nd Lt F E Hills (Pow) & 2nd Lt A G Ryall (Pow), 57 Sqn, FE2d A1948 - shot down on defensive patrol east of Bapaume; Ltn d R Heinrich Gontermann, Ja5, 2nd victory [south of Mory - Ervillers at 12:15]

Capt W S R Bloomfield (Pow) & 2nd Lt V O Lonsdale (Pow), 57 Sqn, FE2d A1953 - shot down on defensive patrol east of Bapaume; Ltn d R Adolf Schulte, Ja12, 3rd victory [Ervillers - Boiry at 12:20]

Lt W F W Hills (Kia) & 2nd Lt W S Gardner (Kia), 57 Sqn, FE2d A1963 - engaged EA broke prop and overturned in forced landing into shell hole St Eloi during line patrol; Vzfw Heinrich Büssing, Ja5, 3rd victory [south of Arras at 12:45]

Lt J W Lockhart (Wia) & 2nd Lt G K Walker (Ok), 52 Sqn, BE2e 5823 - brought down by HA at A12c65 during photography, Gfr Ophaus, SS11 ?

Capt J E MacKay (Ok) & 2nd Lt D E Greenhow (Kia), 45 Sqn, Strutter A1072 - attacked by 5 HA between Houthulst Forest and lines on patrol and landed Abeele; Ltn Karl Schaeffer, Ja11, 4th victory [Lens at 10:55] or Ltn d R Kralewski, Ja4, 1st victory [Ransart - Heuvrecourt at 15:45]

Capt E F P Lubbock (Ok) & Sub-Lt J Thompson (Ok), 45 Sqn, Strutter A1082 - force landed Abeele after shot through on patrol,

2nd Lt S J Pepler (Kia) & Capt J D Stuart (Kia), 43 Sqn, Strutter A978 - shot down in flames near Lens on offensive patrol; Ltn Karl Schaeffer, Ja11, 3rd victory [Lens at 10:45]

Lt M J J G Mare-Montembault MC (Pow), 32 Sqn, DH2 7882 - missing on escort to reconnaissance; Oblt Adolf Ritter von Tutschek, Ja2, 1st victory [Beugnâtre - Beugny at 15:30]

Lt C E M Pickthorn (Wia), 32 Sqn, DH2 7938

Capt H G Southan (Pow), 32 Sqn, DH2 7941 - missing on escort to reconnaissance; Ltn d R Werner Voss, Ja2, 13th victory [Villers au Flers at 15:35]

3947 Flt Sgt E P Critchley (Ok) & 2/AM G Brown (Wia), 23 Sqn, FE2b 4957 - shot through in combat with HA on escort to photography

2nd Lt G H Harrison (Wia) & 2nd Lt O G S Crawford (Wia), 23 Sqn, FE2b A5471 - smashed on landing Bavincourt after combat with HA on escort to photography

2nd Lt A E Watts (Pow; Dow) & 2nd Lt G M Underwood (Kia), 16 Sqn, BE2d 5856 - crashed Givenchy after attack by HA during photography; Ltn Kurt Wolff, Ja11, 1st victory [Givenchy at 11:30]

Lt O R Knight (Wia) & 52315 2/AM E D Harvey (Ok), 16 Sqn, BE2e 6823

2nd Lt G M G Bibby (Kia) & Lt G J O Brichta (Kia), 16 Sqn, BE2e A2785 - brought down by HA on artillery observation; Ltn Manfred von Richthofen, Ja11, 24th victory [Souchez at 16:00]

Lt C W Short MC (Wia; Dow) & Lt S McK Fraser (Wia), 3 Sqn, Morane P A268 - brought down in aerial combat near Ligny on artillery observation; OffStllv Edmund Nathanael, Ja5, 1st victory

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-67471.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Mrt 2018 14:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

House of Representatives, Debates, 6 March 1917

A record of debates in the Australian House of Representatives on the 6 March 1917

https://historichansard.net/hofreps/1917/19170306_reps_6_81/

Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina 1, 2  Volgende
Pagina 1 van 2

Ga naar: